This dish is amazing for so many reasons: it has great flavor, is healthy, super easy to put together, and is a complete meal, so you don’t have to worry about cooking up other side dishes to go along with it. It should come as no surprise to learn that it’s a slow cooker meal, since that’s probably our most-used kitchen tool, and let us tell you: we were thrilled with the results!
We ended up making honey garlic chicken thighs, but the genius with this is adding all the veggies in as well so that everything cooks at the same time and you’re left with a complete meal that’s filling and nutritious. While we used skin-on chicken thighs – which we broiled for five minutes after they finished cooking – since they have such great flavor, and added potatoes, carrots and green beans, you could just as easily use chicken breasts and any other veggies you have on hand.
The ease with which you can customize this makes it a great choice for nights when you’re doing a fridge clean out and yet still want to end up with a cohesive meal. Throw together some pantry staples to make the yummy sauce, and you’re good to go! This dish has everything you need – it’s healthy and delicious! – so get cooking…this’ll become a household staple, you’ll see!
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
Serves 6-8; 3+ hours
- 6-8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 pound green beans, ends removed, halved
- fresh parsley, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Place chicken thighs, potatoes and carrots in slow cooker.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients (honey, ketchup, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes) in a medium bowl until combined, then pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, basting occasionally, until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add green beans during the last 30-40 minutes of cooking. Once fork tender, turn off slow cooker.
- Transfer chicken to a baking sheet (skin side up) and broil for 5-7 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Serve chicken, along with veggies, with a drizzle of cooking liquids and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious