Making Mealtime Meaningful: Discover how we're giving back with the 12T Cares program →

The idea of finding money appeals to all of us, of course. Who wouldn’t love to find a buck or two on the ground from time to time?

However, this Kansas sheriff is here to warn against picking up folded dollar bills that we find in our yards. We had no idea that this was something to be worried about but now we are here to pass the information along to our readers.

Photo: Pexels/Pixabay

According to KSN, this story took place in western Kansas, where a Dighton resident made a startling discovery.

They discovered a dollar bill in their yard that had been folded up. When they picked it up, they realized that meth was stashed inside of it. Once the find was shared with the Lane County Sheriff’s Office, they wasted no time passing it along on Facebook.

Photo: Facebook/Lane County KS Sheriff’s Office

“Earlier this afternoon, a citizen contacted the on-duty Deputy to report that they had found a folded one-dollar bill in their yard. Upon unfolding it, a white substance spilled out,” they posted. The bill was tested for drugs and came back positive for methamphetamine. There were no opiates or fentanyl present. Drug users and dealers have been known to use dollar bills to transport product.

These bills are especially dangerous from an exposure standpoint, especially if fentanyl is the user’s drug of choice. We need to be doing everything in our power to avoid unnecessary exposure to these tainted bills. “It is important to remain vigilant about potential hazards in your surroundings,” the Sheriff’s Office continued. A number of residents also commented on the Facebook post.

Photo: Flickr/tsbxbby License: CC BY 2.0

“Glad it was found by LEC and not a child!” exclaimed one reader. “Too close. Thankfully the citizen called it in,” said another. Meanwhile, there was some skepticism. Someone replied and said that they wanted to know how the dollar bill even got there in the first place. They went on to claim that people are not going to overdose just from being near a drug.

“The problem with any substance is that if it is not respected, it can hurt you,” the Sheriff’s Office replied. “Skin does a very good job of not allowing bad stuff in, but that is not the only concern. People have a tendency to put their fingers in their mouths or rub their eyes, both of which will easily allow absorption of chemicals into your system. Kids are especially at risk for exposure to chemicals because they are completely unaware of the dangers that exist.”