This dinner comes together easily and tastes GREAT.
Sheet pan dinners. Basically the Hail Mary for any busy weeknight, sheet pan dinners are a combination of ingredients that create a full meal and cook together at the same time. If you can get all the prep work done, usually just chopping an assortment of veggies, and whisking together a sauce, all that’s left to do is put it all in the oven. Here, we’ve got our honey garlic chicken and veggie sheet pan dinner, and we couldn’t be happier with it.
The (figurative) bones of the dish are chicken breasts, carrots, broccoli, and snow peas, and all of that gets coated in the yummiest of sauces that comes together on the stovetop and thickens deliciously.
Brown sugar, garlic, ginger, onion, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil blend together to form a flavor-packed sauce that tops your ingredients both before and after baking. A smattering of sesame seeds gets sprinkled on top and you’ve got yourself a filling and nutritious meal that everyone will devour!
Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies
Serves 4-6; 30 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless butterflied chicken breasts
- 1 (8 oz.) package baby carrots, sliced in half (lengthwise)
- 4 cups broccoli florets, halved
- 2 cups snow peas
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Start sauce by whisking together cornstarch and 1/2 cup water to make a slurry, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together brown sugar, garlic, ginger, onion powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, while stirring continuously, then stir in cornstarch slurry.
- Stir and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425º F and place chicken breasts on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, then arrange carrots, broccoli and snow peas around the chicken.
- Pour 1 cup honey garlic sauce over chicken and veggies, tossing everything until it’s evenly coated, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and top with more sauce and more sesame seeds, if desired. Serve hot and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Homemade Interest