Skip ordering take-out and instead whip up this sheet pan dinner in the same amount of time!
I love a sheet pan recipe! The simplicity of the ingredients, the ease of preparation, and, well, need I say more? The last thing I want to worry about at the end of a busy day is what I’m going to make for dinner, and I don’t really want to order take out; it might seem easier but it’s often not. This is a fun way to make one of my family’s favorite take-out dishes, cashew chicken. A highlight of this meal is the minimal list of ingredients: chicken, bell peppers, broccoli, cashews, and a nice sauce that’s really more like a savory glaze.
The key to sheet pan meal success is to make sure that everything is equally sized so that it cooks evenly and quickly. First, the sauce. I want to give the chicken a quick toss in the soy glaze in order to give the meat some flavor. It’s a quick sauce to prepare, and the remaining sauce will continue to simmer on the stove, reducing slightly but building in flavor intensity.
So, I’ve cut my chicken into about 1-inch pieces and do the same with the broccoli and the bell pepper. The best part is the level of crunch and freshness that is maintained even after the veggies roast in the oven. Now, it wouldn’t be cashew chicken without cashews, and those are also added to the sheet pan and roasted along with the meat and veggies.
Into the oven this goes! I’ll take care of the rice as well while this is in the oven, and the timing of it all couldn’t be more perfect. Once the rice is ready, the chicken and veggies are also ready. I’ll plate this with a generous serving of rice, topped with a beautiful combination of chicken, cashews, broccoli and bell peppers. And to finish, the soy glaze. Yum!
Clean up is a breeze, just in case you’re looking for another very good reason to make sheet pan cashew chicken. Trust me, I know the temptation of just picking up the phone to order take-out, but nothing compares to the ease and freshness of making your own meal, right at home. And it basically takes the same amount of time! Cashew chicken with soy glaze and veggies is quick, simple, and healthier. Enjoy!
Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (about 1-inch in size)
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water, plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, cornstarch and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook until sauce bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place chicken on prepared baking sheet. Season liberally with salt and pepper, then drizzle spoonfuls of sauce over the chicken, reserving half to use for later.
- Toss chicken to coat and place in oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove and arrange broccoli, bell peppers, and cashews around the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and a few more spoonfuls of the sauce. Toss everything to coat.
- Return to oven and cook until chicken is cooked through, 8-12 minutes.
- Remove and coat with remaining sauce. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Passion For Savings.