The name doesn’t really do these justice. “Peanut butter sandwich” sounds so humdrum… satisfactory but unexciting, adequate but kind of elementary… but these are so much more! To know them is to love them, and if you’ve had one at The Most Magical Place On Earth, you have felt the rollercoaster of emotions as their sandwich saga unfolded.
You see, they were a popular Disneyland treat, always found in Pooh’s Corner and in most of the candy shops throughout the park. Then, for some inexplicable reason, they were discontinued. But suddenly, hope was restored! They were brought back for a trial run and we innocently thought that meant they were here to stay, forever and always. But no, it was too good to be true. They were discontinued again.
We don’t know about you, but we don’t want to live an entire lifetime without this magical bar made up of graham crackers, peanut butter, and chocolate. And luckily we don’t have to. Because they’re easy enough to make at home. See for yourself:
You start by lining the bottom of a baking pan with graham crackers and then topping that layer with melted chocolate. A mixture of peanut butter (and some other good stuff) gets spread on top before it’s stacked with more chocolate and more graham crackers and a little more chocolate. Then it chills until the chocolate has set and you slice it up into bars to serve.
Chocolate. Graham Crackers. Peanut Butter. It seems so simple, but there’s just something magical about this trio. The crackers retain a bit of crunch against the smooth bite of the peanut butter and sweet chocolate. We will never understand why Disney let them go, but in our home, they’re definitely here to stay.
Disneyland Peanut Butter Sandwiches
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 9
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 10-12 graham crackers (in full sheets of 4 crackers)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- Line a 9x9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray generously with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the peanut butter, butter, salt, and 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is still sticky, add more powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached. You should be able to easily form a ball with the filling.
- In a separate bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and shortening in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- Line the bottom of the prepared baking pan with half of the graham crackers in a single layer. Evenly spread a third of the melted chocolate on top, then add the peanut butter mixture, spreading out as evenly as possible.
- Top the peanut butter layer with another third of the melted chocolate, again evenly spreading it out, then with another layer of the graham crackers, followed by the remaining chocolate..
- Place in the refrigerator to chill until set, about an hour. Once chilled, slice into bars and serve. Enjoy! (Any leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator.)