Reinventing leftovers, or repurposing them enthusiastically, is always a challenge, but not when you’re dealing with Thanksgiving food. Leftover turkey makes an excellent sandwich, hot or cold, but we prefer the cold variety once all the flavors have really had a chance to develop and blend. This sandwich is pretty self-explanatory, in that you take all your leftovers (plus some spinach or mayonnaise) and you throw it in between two slices of wholegrain bread, but don’t let the easy prep fool you; this sandwich is full of your favorite complex flavors and is the best way to extend your Thanksgiving cheer! Enjoy!
Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich
- 8 slices wholegrain or wheat bread
- 2 cups Thanksgiving turkey, sliced
- 1 1/3 cups stuffing
- 3/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup gravy
- mayonnaise, optional
- Lay 4 of your bread slices out on a flat surface and cover them with spinach leaves. This is the base of your stuffed sandwich.
Optional: spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise on each slice before placing down spinach.
- Top each sandwich with 3-4 slices of turkey, then spoon 1-2 tablespoons gravy in the middle of turkey.
- Gently spread 1/3 cup of stuffing on top of gravy-covered turkey.
- Spoon your cranberry sauce on top of stuffing, being careful not to roll stuffing off the sandwich.
- Place remaining slices of bread on top of cranberry sauce to complete sandwiches.