Amazing homemade tortillas and tacos made easy.
It turns out that the most delicious dishes don’t need to be difficult. Chef Dom can make most any recipe seem easy and approachable, but this one truly is! In the video below, he shows you how to make homemade flour tortillas, perfectly seasoned roasted fish, and a crunchy cabbage slaw to top it all off. These Roasted Fish Tacos are the definition of delicious and Chef Dom takes you through every step of the process.
While you might be more accustomed to eating a dish like this in a restaurant, you don’t need any special equipment or skills to make this one at home. It’s truly a recipe that anyone can handle. There’s no match for homemade tortillas, but that doesn’t mean that they’re difficult to make. And they work for so many things! You don’t have to stop with tacos — you can use them for quesadillas, burritos, even chips. Chef Dom shows you how to make the simple dough and also how to troubleshoot any problems you might come across.
The beauty of this recipe is that the fish cooks easily in the oven while you’re working on the rest of the components. It’s not something that takes a ton of time, but it certainly tastes like it does. This video helps you master every technique you need to make amazing homemade tortillas and tacos and trust me, once you learn them, you’ll be using those techniques a ton.
Roasted Fish Tacos with Homemade Tortillas
30m prep time
15m cook time
For the fish:
- 1 lb white fish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the tortillas:
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons lard or butter
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a sheet tray for fish by drizzling with olive oil.
- Stir together cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and coriander and season fish with the mixture, along with salt and pepper. Massage spices gently into fish on both sides to coat fish.
- Bake fish until firm and flakes easily, 12-14 minutes.
- While fish bakes, make the tortillas:
- To a medium mixing bowl, add flour, butter or lard, and salt.
- Using only the fingertips of both hands, massage the lard into the flour mixture using a swirling motion until the lard has been incorporated into the flour. (Mixture should resemble soft sand.)
- Add in the warm water and mix until the dough comes together, about 5 or 6 kneads.
- Portion dough into 12 equal pieces and loosely cover with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel, let rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball out evenly into a circle. Rolling upwards and downward on each ball, rotate dough consistently a quarter of a turn and repeat until tortilla is circular.
- Pre-heat a pan on medium-high heat, cook each tortilla for 30 – 45 seconds each or until bubbles start to form on top, flip and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove hot tortillas to a clean kitchen towel and cover.
- Assemble tacos with fish and your favorite toppings and enjoy!