Ritz crackers aren’t just something to whip out as appetizers anymore, they have such a yummy, rich flavor, that we love repurposing them in unexpected ways…it makes for a fun twist when you’re cooking, plus you can’t go wrong with these delectable, buttery crackers!
Here, we crushed up a sleeve of crackers and used them as breading for our chicken breasts. Combined with a delightfully rich sauce, we’ve got a perfect balance of crunchy and crispy versus smooth and creamy. Trust us, if you haven’t already gotten creative with these crackers yet, now’s the time to try…this makes for a perfect weeknight dinner!
Crispy Ritz Cracker Chicken
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sleeve ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Combine egg and 1/4 milk in a small, shallow bowl and whisk together until fully incorporated.
- Place grated cheddar cheese in a second, shallow bowl, then place crushed ritz crackers in a third.
- Take your (seasoned) chicken breasts and dip them in egg wash, making sure to coat both sides.
- Shake off excess egg, then coat chicken in grated cheddar cheese.
- Transfer chicken to crush ritz crackers, make sure to coat all sides. Press firmly so cracker crumbs adhere to meat.
- Transfer chicken to a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, combine soup, milk, sour cream and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Remove chicken from oven and serve hot, with creamy sauce drizzled over the top.
Recipe adapted from Bitz & Giggles