When you think of Reese Witherspoon, you probably think first of her movies, but she’s so much more than just an actress. You can add author and clothing designer to that list and – as this her Cornbread Chili Pie recipe proves – great cook as well! This recipe comes from her cookbook Whiskey in a Teacup and it is delicious, homey comfort food through and through. It’s the ideal easy weeknight meal – quick to make and it comes together in one pan, but best of all, it’s positively scrumptious.
Now, we all know that cornbread and chili go together, but here Reese simplifies things by layering the cornbread on top of the chili. That means you only end up with one dish to wash, but also that the cornbread takes on some of that bold and zesty chili flavor. One of the really refreshing things about Reese’s cookbook is that she’s not afraid to rely on a kitchen shortcut here or there and this recipe employs that strategy by using Jiffy cornbread mix to speed preparation up.
Canned chili, however, is not a shortcut she uses. This is a quick pork and beef stovetop chili that comes together in the skillet you’re going to bake it in; it doesn’t require a long list of ingredients or hours of simmering but it delivers on flavor. While it simmers, you mix up the cornbread batter, spread it on top, and bake. How easy is that?
In her book, Reese talks fondly of meals shared with family and this is just the sort of family-friendly dish that everyone is always happy to gather around a table for. It’s a classic pair after all – cornbread and chili- brought together in one delicious and comforting dish.
Reese Witherspoon's Cornbread Chili Pie
15m prep time
35m cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 (1.75 oz each) packets chili seasoning
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (8.5 oz each) boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add ground beef and pork, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat.
- Stir in chili seasoning, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium and stir 1 minute, then pour in chicken broth.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While meat simmers, make the cornbread mixture:
- Stir together both Jiffy mixes, eggs, and milk until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the corn and the cheese and set aside.
- Stir kidney beans and remaining corn into meat mixture. Pour cornbread batter over meat mixture and bake until golden brown on top, 35-45 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
From Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon.