Who doesn’t love the ooey, gooey goodness of queso? Well, there must be somebody out there, but we haven’t met them. And besides, they probably just haven’t had this yet… if the dip somehow hadn’t done it, this dish would make a queso-believer out of anyone. This Queso Chicken Bake takes a few simple ingredients and blankets them with the rich and creamy cheesiness of queso for a quick and easy one pan meal that your whole family will love.
At any party, you’ll find us hovering around the queso dip. The cheese and subtle spice is the perfect thing to coat a crunchy tortilla chip, so we figured it would be just as good if we coated some chicken and called it dinner. We were right. We seasoned some chicken breasts with taco seasoning mix for a little bit of extra flavor and topped it with a mouthwatering mixture of queso, beans, bell pepper, and tomatoes and chilies. We love to use fire-roasted tomatoes and chilies; they add a lot of robust flavor, and the perfect kick of spice!
The whole thing bakes up in one pan and takes only a few minutes to mix together, so it makes a perfect weeknight meal. We use an extra bowl for mixing to make sure all those veggies are nice and coated in the queso sauce, but if you really wanted to, you could add all the ingredients right on top of the chicken and eliminate a dish. We’re all for less dishes. In any case, it’s a quick and delicious meal, which is just how we like them. You can serve it over some rice and top it off with fresh diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and cool sour cream if you’re feeling fancy, but that moist chicken and creamy cheese is all you really need.
Queso Chicken Bake
1 hour, 15 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar (23 oz) salsa con queso
- 1 can (15 oz. ) black beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning mix
- Sour cream, to garnish (optional)
- Tomatoes, diced, to garnish (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Season both sides of chicken with taco seasoning and place in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, bell pepper, tomatoes and green chilies, and salsa con queso and stir until incorporated. Pour over chicken, spreading out with a rubber spatula if needed.
- Top with shredded cheese and cover dish with foil. Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until sauce bubbles and chicken is cooked through, 10-15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, and cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Pinning Mama.