The transition to Fall means we get to start baking again and that means cookies. One of our absolute favorite cookies to make on a crisp autumn day is a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Adding some pumpkin pie puree to the batter is such an amazing way to make a small but meaningful impact on the usual chocolate chip cookie. A plate of these cookies will be the perfect sidekick to a night of pumpkin carving. We love to bring a batch to an office or school Halloween party, but let’s be honest, we just like to have some on hand for when a cookie emergency comes up.
We usually add a pinch of cinnamon to our chocolate cookie dough batter because the spice adds a hint of something special that makes the cookie even more irresistible. Adding pumpkin puree keeps the cookies really moist and that little bit of pumpkin pie spice brings such a wonderful subtle-spiced warmth the cookie. There’s just so much goodness going on here! You can decide what kind of chocolate chip to use as it suits your tastes; we’ve done both milk and dark chocolate chips so go with your gut; we’re sure either way it will taste delicious! All that’s left to do is to get the cookies onto the baking sheet and into the oven. Fifteen minutes later, once the cookies have baked and cooled slightly, we can finally – finally! – enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies allow us to indulge our penchant for all things pumpkin spice at this time of the year. A chocolate chip cookie you can enjoy at any time, but a pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookie is a seasonal treat that we reserve for cool and crisp autumn days. You might not think of pumpkin and chocolate together, after all, we usually don’t drizzle our pumpkin pie with a chocolate drizzle, but here it absolutely makes sense in the best possible way. Taste the Fall season with a batch of pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies!
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves 20-24 cookies
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (11.5 oz) bag chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat. Set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and kosher salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix pumpkin, both sugars, oil, vanilla and egg in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet one-third at a time. Mix until batter is well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Avoid over mixing.
- Drop a heaping spoonful of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing the cookies approximately 2-inches apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Cool slightly on the sheet before transferring to a cooking rack. Cool cookies completely before storing in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from I Heart Naptime.