Cucumber soup isn’t as unusual as it sounds, and one spoonful will have you convinced that putting pickles into a soup is pure genius. This is a classic Polish recipe and one that has been enjoyed for generations. It may be rustic and humble, which is part of its charm, but it’s not short on flavor and goodness. And even more amazing than it’s wonderful flavor is how quickly it can be made! In 30 minutes you’ll have a stockpot full of soup that’s unlike any other, and one that you will likely continue to enjoy over and over again.
A pickle soup sounds a bit unusual to those unfamiliar with this traditional recipe. It’s a light and savory vegetable soup, with a delightful combination of carrots, celery, onion, and shredded pickled cucumbers. And no pickle soup would be complete without a good glug of pickle juice. Pickle juice has got to be one of cooking’s best-kept secrets. What an easy way to add flavor! Sour cream is another way to add some tang and of course creaminess, and fresh herbs speak for themselves.
A bowlful of this soup is truly special. Filled with vegetables and a nice salty broth, a pickle soup is something surprisingly satisfying and delicious. It’s often some of the most humble and simple recipes that taste the best, and this version of Polish cucumber soup is a belly-warming nod to the traditional dish. Now, just wait until you tell the family you’re serving pickle soup for dinner! And imagine their delight when they first taste your Polish cucumber soup. Enjoy!
Polish Cucumber Soup
35 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced ¼-inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 large dill pickles, finely diced or shredded
- ½ cup pickle juice
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large stockpot. Sauté onions, celery, carrots, until just softened.
- Add garlic and stir frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, diced pickles, pickle juice, and diced potatoes to stockpot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes have softened.
- Stir in sour cream and fresh dill. Continue to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, more to taste.
Recipe adapted from KitchenMe.