People love home-cooked, delicious dinners, but it can be hard to motivate yourself to cook a big meal when you’ve been working all day. That’s the beauty of the slow cooker.
This fantastic corned beef require some chopping, but basically that’s it. Prepare your meal in the morning (or before bed the night before), then step back and let the meal cook itself. You get to go about your day and take credit for the dish you “worked so hard on”!
Slow-Cooked Corned Beef
- 4-6 pounds raw corned beef brisket
- 1 (22 oz.) bottle dark beer
- 1-1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, halved
- 4-6 medium carrots, quartered
- 1 large, white onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, top sliced off
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, wedged
- 2-4 cups hot water
- 3-3 1/2 tablespoons pickling spices, usually included with brisket
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In a large slow cooker, place pickling spices, brown sugar, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion and corned beef.
- Pour in beer and add (enough) water to cover the meat and vegetables by at least 1 inch.
- Cover and cook on high for 7-8 hours (or on low for 9-11), until meat is tender.
- An hour before serving, place cabbage in with the meat and vegetables and continue cooking.
- Remove corned beef and vegetables to platter, slice meet across the grain and serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley.
- Reserve leftover cooking liquid and brisket to make corned beef hash or Reubens.
Recipe adapted from Kernels And SeedsSKM: below-content placeholder