These meatballs are so good, you won’t even notice that they’re missing this one ingredient.
We have to admit to being a little wary of this dish. How is it possible for a meatless meatball to taste anywhere near good? One bite and we knew we’d just stumbled upon something special. These mushroom and rice “meatballs” are outrageously good, easy to make, and who can say “no” to serving them covered in a delicious gravy! We served these up to our family without mentioning that they were meatless and everyone practically licked their plates clean!
To achieve that meaty feeling without the meat, we use mushrooms, any kind will do but we had crimini mushrooms to work with for this meal. Cooked rice adds that extra bit of filling and the rest of the ingredients are basically what we’d use in a standard meatball recipe. To keep this meal meatless, we use vegetable broth but still get all that great flavor and creaminess from the sour cream and a few spices.
We can’t deny how amazing these meatballs turned out. If you’re ever interested in trying a few meatless dishes in your usual weeknight routine, we can’t rave about these enough. Vegetarian Swedish meatballs were good enough to satisfy even the most ardent meat lovers around our dinner table. Enjoy!
Meatless Swedish Meatballs
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ¾ plain bread crumbs
- 10 oz crimini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ sour cream
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper (add more salt and pepper, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hopped fresh parsley, garnish
- Fresh cracked black pepper, garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix rice, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, eggs, yogurt, garlic powder, paprika, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper together until well combined. Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of mushroom mixture and roll into a ball. Place meatballs on baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- As the meatballs bake, in a large skillet on medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and onion powder and whisk to combine. Bring to a low simmer.
- Add sour cream and slowly whisk in vegetable broth until all ingredients are smooth and creamy. Add more or less broth until gravy reaches desired consistency. Add salt and pepper, more to taste.
- Remove veggie meatballs from oven and transfer to skillet. Gently toss to coat veggie meatballs with gravy. To serve, garnish with chopped parsley and fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum