Oh my gosh, guys, if you’re looking for a silky smooth, decadent dessert with a flavor so rich and delicious it’ll have you begging for more, this is the recipe for you. While we all know and love the classic cream pies – banana and coconut = crowd favorites – we’ve got a different one for you today that we can easily see overthrowing the traditional faves. Embracing a slightly more autumnal flavor, this is a maple sugar cream pie, and WOW is it good.
In case you haven’t made a cream pie from scratch before, don’t worry, it’s super easy. While some cream pies require making a thick, egg-based custard in a double-boiler, we make our cream filling without eggs, so there’s no need to fear accidentally scrambling your filling mixture and having to start over. Nope, it’s all easy-peasy over here. Now, to get that intense maple flavor you need two things: maple syrup and maple extract. Maple syrup is really the key here, as you can easily swap in vanilla extract if you can’t find maple extract. Together though, these two knock the flavor out of the park and leave you with a thick filling that is sumptuous and delectable.
Since we used a store-bought crust for our version (though you’re welcome to make your own), making this was a breeze. The filling comes together in under 10 minutes, so if you do end up buying a crust, you can have this dessert ready in no time! Top everything off with a sugar-cinnamon dusting and you’re in business. This pie is an instant classic – try it out and see for yourself!
Maple Cream Pie
20 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 1 deep dish frozen pie crust
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325º F and lay your crust out in a standard pie dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter and heavy cream together until butter is melted, then whisk in cornstarch and sugar, stirring continuously until thickened. 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in maple syrup, maple extract, vanilla extract and salt, if using, and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour filling into pie crust, then drizzle remaining (melted) butter over the top.
- Whisk together remaining topping ingredients, sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over filling.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Center should be set, but still a little wobbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool, then refrigerate until set. 2-3 hours.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Domestic Rebel