Cornbread Casserole in its most basic form is a delightful thing – sweet and soft and oh-so comforting – but this Loaded Cornbread Casserole takes the dish to new heights. Stuffed with bacon, green chiles, and plenty of sharp cheddar, it’s still the moist and creamy corn casserole you love, but positively loaded with a bunch of extra flavor. You could say it’s the ultimate in cornbread casseroles, and you’d be very much correct.
While you could use some Jiffy mix and doctor it up with these extra ingredients, it’s simple enough to make your own mixture from scratch. Our batter here is just cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, sour cream, milk, and butter that’s quickly mixed together. Bacon, green chiles, corn kernels, and shredded cheddar round it out…
… and a little more bacon and cheddar go on top before it heads into the oven. (For good measure and all that.)
It’s a side that I love all year round and yet it’s totally suitable for your holiday table. Informal, unfussy, but it tastes special enough for any special occasion.
Loaded Cornbread Casserole
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 oz bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add corn, sour cream, and milk, and stir to combine.
- Add butter, 3/4 of the bacon, green chiles, and 1 cup of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and top with remaining bacon and cheese. Bake until center is set and top is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Loaded Cornbread Casserole.