If you hadn’t already heard, sour cream is not just a savory food ingredient. We repeat: not just a savory food ingredient. As we’ve seen with many a cake, sour cream ensures your confection is perfectly moist and never dry, and in some cases, it’s the star of the show and brings a light, airy tang that balances out the other flavors that are in the mix. The latter example, of letting the sour cream complement the other ingredients, is what’s going on in this lemon sour cream pie; the lemon and sour cream get equal billing in the name, so you know it’s going to be good.
This is kind of a custard-y pie that requires a bit of attention while it cooks – keep stirring over medium heat to make sure the egg doesn’t curdle – but then comes together in a silky smooth mixture that is addictive right from the get-go. The lemon flavor comes from meyer lemons, which are smaller and sweeter than standard lemons, plus we added in a little lemon extract to really pump things up. The brightness from the lemon and the tanginess from the sour cream work together beautifully to make the yummiest dessert.
We get so excited for spring and summer, so when the weather starts to warm up, we start to make all the lemon desserts we can get our hands on, and this one does not disappoint. You can use a store-bought pie crust or a homemade one, and as long as you get that lemon filling just right, you’ll be in wonderful shape. This is a new favorite of ours and we can’t wait for it to be a favorite of yours too!
Lemon Sour Cream Pie
Serves 8-10; 20 minutes active; 4_ hours inactive
- 1 frozen pie crust, baked according to package directions
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- frozen whipped topping or whipped cream, garnish, optional
- Combine heavy cream, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking continuously, until thickened. 6-8 minutes. (Just be sure mixture isn’t too hot or it will curdle.)
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in cubed butter, lemon extract and vanilla extract, if using, then stir in powdered sugar.
- Whisk in sour cream, stirring until mixture is totally smooth, then pour mixture into prepared pie pan.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours, or until set, then top with whipped cream, slice, serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from All Day I Dream About Food