When you picture your perfect potato salad, you probably envision something with tender potatoes, a creamy dressing, and a slight vinegary bite. This potato salad has all of those things going for it but it also offers a whole lot more – like smoky kielbasa sausage, crunchy cabbage, and a dressing that’s good enough to eat straight off the spoon.
Red potatoes are the perfect choice here, because they hold together when tossed with the other ingredients and lend a little sweetness to balance the savory kielbasa. As the potatoes cook, you’ll want to brown the sausage quickly, it intensifies the flavor and only takes a minute!
Chopped hard-boiled eggs add a little more protein (you can totally make a meal out of this if you wish), while green onion and Napa cabbage brighten things up. Napa cabbage is a great choice – it adds some crunch but isn’t quite as tough as some of the other varieties, and it pairs wonderfully with the sausage. Kielbasa and cabbage just seem to belong together, you know?
The dressing has that usual creamy-tangy combo but that’s thanks to stoneground mustard instead of vinegar and there’s paprika in there too, which echoes the smokiness in the sausage. It’s such a great balance of flavors and textures that I usually find myself turning to this version instead of the classic picnic potato salad!
Kielbasa Potato Salad
Serves 8 20 minutes
- 10-12 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb Kielbasa, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons stoneground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, then drain well and let potatoes sit in hot pot in order to evaporate any excess liquid.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown the kielbasa on both sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, remaining olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes, chopped eggs, Kielbasa, green onion, and Napa cabbage. Toss to combine and serve. Enjoy!