So easy to make (and eat!).
When you want a sweet treat, but don’t feel like making and frosting a cake there are always other options. Making sweet breads is one of the quickest and tastiest ways to satisfy your sweet tooth. The tender, delicate texture makes them a special dessert or even a cheeky breakfast.
Most people are fond of banana, berry, nut, and zucchini bread and this Jell-o bread has some of these wonderful flavors in it. It also comes together in a snap thanks to a shortcut. If you guessed it was Jell-o mix then you’re correct! For this recipe we’re using gelatin not pudding mix and it comes out very bright and festive.
To make this tasty bread you’ll need 1 ripe banana that’s been mashed. You’ll also need 8 ounces of strawberries. These not only add flavor, but also lots of moisture.
If you wanted to mix things up you could use applesauce or other berries in addition to the banana. Then you need to blend the strawberries and Jell-o together so they can be incorporated smoothly into the batter.
Once you’ve got the batter mixed up all you need to do is pour it into a standard loaf and bake it until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. There’s no need to frost or glaze the top, unless you want to.
This fruity Jell-o bread is great with some butter or cream cheese on top, but is also wonderful with a scoop of ice cream as well. It’s sweet, tart, fruity, and very soft and moist. It’s like a cake-y bread and so easy that anyone can make it.
Makes 10 slices
15m prep time
1h cook time
- 1/2 lb strawberries, stems removed and chopped
- 1 (3 oz) box of strawberry gelatin or jelly dessert mix
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Use food processor to blend strawberries and Jell-O together. Combine this with bananas in medium bowl.
- In large bowl cream together butter and sugar until pale in color using electric mixer. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and mix again until uniform in color. Gently stir in strawberry-banana mixture.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add this to fruit batter 1/2 cup at time. Mix until uniform in color, but do not over-mix.
- Pour into greased 8”x4 1/2” loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30-60 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.
Recipe adapted from Margin Making Mom.