A simple, festive cookie with a texture and flavor you just can’t beat.
Gooey Butter Cookies are just what they sound like – sweet, simple cookies with plenty of butter flavor and an irresistible gooey texture. All we’ve done here is mix in some Christmas themed sprinkles and voila!, you’ve got a holiday version of this simple cookie with no extra effort. Our Gooey Butter Cookies are cake mix based and require no cookie cutters whatsoever, so if you’re looking for an easy cookie to spread some holiday cheer, you need look no further.
Gooey Butter Cookies are a little different from most drop cookies in that you’re not just creaming together butter and sugar, you’re also adding cream cheese into the mix. The cream cheese and the cake mix are what gives these their signature soft and gooey texture. To make these extra festive, sprinkles go right into the dough…
… but also are rolled onto the outside. No cookie cutters or rolling pin needed, just scoop them out and roll them around in the sprinkles of your choice.
Because these are so soft, you’ll want to chill these for at least an hour before baking otherwise the cookies have a tendency to spread too much in the oven. It’s an important step but not one that takes any extra work – just make sure to plan ahead a bit.
With so many butter cookies like shortbread or spritz, we’re used to a crisp and crumbly bite. These are quite different. They still have a wonderful butter flavor, but instead have a totally unique texture – they’re soft and almost melt in your mouth with an ooey-gooey center that’s impossible to resist.
Holiday Gooey Butter Cookies
Yield 36 cookies
10m prep time
10m cook time
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add cake mix and salt and beat just until well blended. Stir in 1/2 of the sprinkles. Chill dough at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Scoop chilled dough out in rounded tablespoons and roll into 1-inch balls. Sprinkle with sprinkles, then roll in powdered sugar until completely covered.
- Place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes; cookies will be pale. Allow to sit on baking sheet 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Dear Crissy.