Looking for a quick and easy dinner to whip up on those busy weeknights? We’ve got just the thing! Chicken is certainly a staple in my family dinners, but sometimes it feels like I prepare the same three or four chicken dinners over and over again. I’m excited to add Hasselback fajita chicken to the meal rotation (and so is my family).
This easy recipe has peppers, onions, spices, and plenty of cheese – basically all the things we love about fajitas, but in a nice and neat package. The prep-work is made even easier by using a packet of taco seasoning, so there’s no measuring out of a bunch of different spices. Win-win!
The term, “Hasselback” comes from the name Hasselbacken, the Stockholm restaurant where partially sliced potatoes were first served as a side dish. Here is our version of the classic Hasselback potatoes. Once reserved only for potatoes, Hasselback has become a broader term that refers to a specific technique of making small slices along the top of whatever food you’re preparing, only cutting about half-way through. We’ve tried a bunch of different Hasselback recipes, including slow cooker Hasselback apple pork loin and Hasselback peach pie.
Your family will love this chicken dish packed with flavor and veggies, and you’ll love how easy it is to throw together. What more can you ask for when meal planning and prepping? Go ahead and check out this easy recipe for Hasselback fajita chicken below!
Hasselback Fajita Chicken
Serves 4 30min
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F and grease a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Make horizontal slices across each chicken breast, stopping 1/4-inch from the bottom.
- Coat chicken with olive oil and rub taco seasoning into the meat.
- Tuck peppers and onion into each slice then place chicken in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove, top with cheese, and return to oven until cheese has melted and chicken has cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Girl On Bloor.