There are not a lot of dishes out there that can be the savior of your busy weeknights quite like a skillet dinner. An entire meal in a single pan is hard to argue with and when it’s as delicious and nutritious as this Greek Turkey and Rice Skillet, well, it’s nearly impossible. It’s chock full of good stuff – rice, juicy ground turkey, sun dried tomatoes, salty kalamata olives and feta – and it will take you just around a half an hour to get on the table. That means you get a scrumptious meal in short order, which is good news whether you’re super busy or not.
What I love about this skillet meal is that it truly is a one-pan dish. You don’t have to pre-cook the rice or simmer it in another pot – it cooks right in with everything else in the dish. You start by browning the ground turkey with some oregano and garlic, and then you add in all the stuff that makes this so delicious – kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, and the rice.
Pour in some chicken broth, bring it to a simmer, cover it, and let it do its thing for fifteen minutes. After it rests, you’ll find you have fluffy, tender rice and a very flavorful dish.
Some lemon zest and parsley really set this off, but it wouldn’t be complete without some crumbled feta. It’s just the right salty accompaniment to echo the sliced olives. This dish is seriously such a yummy combination that it’s hard to believe it’s so quick and easy to make, but in this case, tasting is believing!
Greek Turkey and Rice Skillet
10m prep time
25m cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 oz feta, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add turkey, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add olives and sun dried tomatoes, rice, and spinach. Add chicken broth and stir. Cover with a lid, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir ingredients, replace lid, turn off heat, and let sit 10 minutes.
- Zest half of the lemon, and slice into wedges. Fluff rice and stir, top with lemon zest, parsley, feta. Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.