My qualification for a go-to weeknight meal is that it takes under thirty minutes to make, it’s delicious, and that everyone in my household is happy eating it. Well, my friends, this Garlic Butter Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet blows all the other ones in my rotation out of the water. It takes just fifteen minutes to make, but is so scrumptious that you’ll have a hard time convincing anyone that it comes together that fast.
You can take one look at this skillet meal and see all that succulent shrimp and tender asparagus and know it’s going to be good, but I have two more words for you: Garlic. Butter. We all know those are two ingredients that make everything better, and that’s certainly the case here. While shrimp and asparagus don’t necessarily need any help in achieving deliciousness, tossing them in a garlicky, buttery sauce that’s infused with lemon doesn’t hurt matters.
It’s a simple skillet meal for sure, but it’s one where a handful of flavors come together super quickly in perfect cohesion. It’s like the union of shrimp, asparagus, garlic, butter, and lemon is just one that’s meant to be and so it doesn’t take hours for the flavors to develop and blend. They’re just there from the get-go in perfect balance. It’s basically the holy grail of quick weeknight dinners. It’s a healthy yet crave-worthy one-pan meal that’s hard not to turn to again and again. And again.
Garlic Butter Shrimp and Asparagus
Serves 4; 15 minutes
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-4-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1.5 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add shallots and asparagus, season with salt, and saute until asparagus is just fork tender, about 4 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet and add shrimp, garlic, lemon slices, and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through but still pink, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in asparagus and shallots, lemon juice, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed and serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from I Wash You Dry.