Kid-Friendly Recipe: Chicken Nuggets From Scratch
We all know those kids. You know, the ones who won’t eat anything but mac and cheese or chicken nuggets. Today we have a simple recipe that will delight even the fussiest of eaters. Even better, there’s no need to fry these nuggets. Making your own chicken nuggets from scratch has many advantages, not the least of which being awareness of what’s going into your family’s food.
And by the way: these chicken nuggets are healthier and tastier than the fast food or frozen varieties.
When looking for the right breadcrumbs for this recipe, we discovered an interesting idea: crumble a bag of your favorite croutons. You end up with a more unique flavor while still retaining the texture. Keep reading below for our favorite chicken nuggets recipe…
Baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe
(makes 4-6 servings)
- 3 medium boneless chicken breasts
- 5oz seasoned croutons, crushed to fine crumbs (roll over the back with a rolling pin)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for greasing a pan
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Beat the egg into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl pour the flour
- In a third bowl, mix together crouton crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Cut the chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces.
- Pat the chicken dry, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip chicken pieces into the flour and shake off the excess.
- Dip chicken into the egg and let excess egg drip off.
- Lay the chicken in the crushed crouton mixture and dredge the chicken.
- Repeat for all chicken pieces, then place them on a baking sheet lined with greased foil.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 1-2 minutes.
- Let cool, then serve with your favorite toppings/sides.
Recipe adapted from Skinny TasteSKM: below-content placeholder