How is it that though we’ve brought you thousands of recipes throughout the years, we here at 12 Tomatoes have somehow never given you a recipe for this ultimate classic – French Silk Pie? What a travesty! But we’re making up for lost time with this version. With a silky mousse-like filling that holds as much sweet chocolate flavor as you can handle and a dome of fresh whipped cream, this recipe is absolutely everything French Silk Pie should be.
Though it takes a bit of patience in places, there is nothing complicated about making this pie. It involves two kinds of chocolate that are melted down in the microwave (no need for stovetops or double boilers here!) and then mixed with butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Simple, right?
The trick is in how you mix those simple things together. See, after you mix together the butter and sugar until they’re fluffy and the sugar has dissolved, you add in the cooled chocolate, vanilla, and salt, and then you add the eggs one by one, beating for five minutes in between. Yes, that means there is twenty minutes of egg beating to do, but I can promise you that after one bite of that silky-smooth velvety chocolate you’ll feel like it was well worth it.
After that, you’re done! Spread the filling into a blind-baked crust of your choice and let it chill for a few hours to set. Top it with as much whipped cream as your heart desires and maybe a few chocolate shavings and you’re ready to dig in. It’s a sweet little pie, perfect for special occasions or any time you just want to celebrate chocolate in its finest form.
French Silk Pie
25m prep time
- 1 pie crust
- 4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate baking chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large pasteurized eggs
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Blind bake pie crust until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate and baking chips on high until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Sugar should be completely dissolved.
- Add salt, vanilla, and cooled melted chocolate. Beat until fully incorporated.
- Add eggs one by one, beating 5 minutes before adding next egg with the mixer on medium.
- Pour filling into cooled pie crust and smooth out top. Cover and chill to set, at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts.