While it might look a bit like a pecan pie filling at first, don’t be so quick to judge this seriously delicious spread. Even though it does have some of the elements of the classic pie – pecans, butter and brown sugar – this nutty spread has a savory twist that puts a spin on the whole thing and keeps people coming back for more.
That’s right, this French Quarter pecan cream cheese spread has a healthy kick thanks to garlic and onion powders, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Fret not, this stuff tastes amazing and pairs perfectly with the tangy cream cheese it’s served on. Grab yourself a hearty chip or cracker and dig in – trust us, you’ll love it!
Pecan Cream Cheese Spread
15 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped, toasted, optional
- wheat thins, triscuits or other crackers, serving
- Combine butter, onion and garlic powders, and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking until butter is melted.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, Dijon and toasted pecans, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until sugar has fully dissolved and sauce is smooth and dark brown. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place cream cheese on serving plate and use a spoon to make a slight indentation in the center, then pour pecan mixture over the top and sides of cream cheese loaf.
- Serve with crackers and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Call Me PMC