It’s always nice to start the day with a hearty breakfast but not so nice if you have to crawl out of bed early to make it. That’s why I love breakfast bakes like this – you can make them ahead, pull the dish out of the fridge in the AM, pop it in the oven, and you’ve got piping hot morning meal without any early bird effort. This particular bake is especially nice because it features so many breakfast favorites, but since there are only about five minutes of prep you can opt to make it ahead or just throw it together right before it heads into the oven. It’s cheesy, filling, and extremely yummy, and it happens to be super easy too!
The bulk of this bake is frozen hashbrowns, which saves a ton of time but still gives you a satisfying base. That’s layered with diced ham, plenty of Monterey jack, and some green onions to brighten things up a bit. A mixture of eggs and evaporated milk hold everything together…
… and they set into a soft but sliceable state.
It’s a bake that features so many breakfast favorites – tender potatoes, fluffy eggs, savory ham, and melty cheese – but it does it all in one dish, which makes for a super easy (and tasty!) morning.
Serves 6-8; 5 minutes prep, 1 hour 30 minutes cook time
- 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange potatoes in the bottom of an 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, garlic salt, and pepper. Pour evenly over ingredients in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate up to overnight, if desired. If chilled, bake uncovered until center is set, about 1 hour 30 minutes. If baking unchilled, reduce time to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl.