To figuratively and literally spice up your next dinner, try this recipe for Thai chicken burgers. It offers plenty of flavor and just the right amount of kick, and makes fora creative twist on the traditional burger. The ingredients list might look long, but don’t be intimidated — you’ve likely got much of them in the pantry and the actual cooking part is pretty simple!
Thai Chicken Burgers
(makes 4 burgers)
For the burgers:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 1small bunch cilantro
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 hamburger buns or potato rolls
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other optional burger garnishes (sliced tomato, sliced red onion, etc.)
For the sauce:
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 red jalapeÒo or serrano peppers, deseeded
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Before you make the patties, prepare the red chili sauce to go with the burgers. Use a blender to purÈe all the ingredients except for the cornstarch and water. When well combined, move the mixture to a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes. In the meantime, combine the cornstarch and water ñ then once the sauce mixture has thickened a bit, whisk in the cornstarch slurry and let everything simmer for another minute.
- Take the sauce off the heat and let it cool ñ you can serve it hot or refrigerate it to use later.
- In a large bowl, combine the ginger, shallots, ground chicken, panko breadcrumbs, soy sauce, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce. Add salt and pepper, and then gently mix everything together. Then, form the mixture into four separate patties.
- Add the olive oil to a large nonstick skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Then, add the burgers and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until the burger is cooked all the way through.
- Assemble burgers by spreading the red chili sauce on the top bun, and putting the burger on the bottom bun. Top the patty with the sliced cucumbers and any other toppings youíd like.
Burger recipe adapted from Blue Apron
Sauce recipe adapted from She Simmers