Deviled eggs and macaroni salad are both potluck greats, so why not just go ahead and have both at once? Meet our Deviled Egg Pasta Salad, which gives you that very option. The deviled eggs fit right in with the creaminess of a mayo-based pasta salad while the pasta rounds it out into a more filling option. And the dressing? Well, that has that same classic creamy and tangy deviled egg filling flavor that you know and love. It’s a hard side to beat!
The process here borrows steps from how you would normally make deviled eggs and pasta salad, because more or less what you’re doing is making the same filling as you would for deviled eggs and stretching it out with more mayo until it resembles a dressing. It’s so creamy and flavorful! The difference here is that you’re going to separate the eggs and the whites but you don’t have to fill anything… You’ll chop the whites and they’ll go in with the pasta but the yolks will go into a bowl where you’ll mash them into a paste that forms the basis of your dressing.
Then you’ll mix mayo, mustard, pickle relish, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne into the yolks. (Sound familiar?) There’s more mayo here than you would use for the eggs so that it’s more fitting for a pasta salad but still has that lovely deviled egg flavor. Tender ditalini pasta, chopped egg whites, celery, and red onion all get folded into that dressing and the only other thing you need is a little sprinkle of paprika on top.
Whether you’re more of a deviled egg fan or a macaroni salad fan, you’re going to love this mash-up version. It’s the ideal option for potlucks, picnics, and barbecues – creamy as can be with a classic, crowd-pleasing flavor.
Deviled Egg Pasta Salad
5m prep time
15m cook time
Gluten-Free diet suitable
- 6 hardboiled eggs
- 8 oz ditalini pasta
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Peel eggs and separate yolks from whites. Chop whites and set aside. Add yolks to a large mixing bowl and crush with a wooden spoon into a paste.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, relish, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the yolks and mix to combine.
- Add pasta, red onion, celery, and egg whites and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning as needed and chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen.