This hearty eggplant and potato bake is so cheesy and delicious!
Eggplant pairs well with so many different ingredients. In this meatless masterpiece, eggplant teams up with tender potatoes and creamy Gruyere for an out-of-this-world flavor experience. We served this cheesy casserole Saturday night when the in-laws came over…no one missed the meat, and there were no leftovers!
Sauteed fennel adds a slightly sweet, intriguing flavor that makes this dish incredible. Every bite is hearty, gooey and satisfying – the perfect way to serve up some comfort at the end of the week. This cheesy eggplant and potato bake is so delicious, we’re more than willing to wait for it to bake!
Cheesy Eggplant, Potato and Fennel Bake
- 2 medium eggplant, cubed
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced, leaves reserved for garnish
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Place cubed eggplant in colander. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Warm oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté fennel 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine drained eggplant and diced potatoes in prepared casserole dish. Top with sautéed fennel and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted. Garnish with fennel leaves, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Budget Smart Girl