This delicious cake bar features all the decadence of a shortcake, paired with fresh berries and a tasty vanilla drizzle. Wow your guests during the spring and summer with these homestyle treats, or make them your go-to contribution for birthday parties and family get-togethers. This recipe is a great use for fresh blueberries straight from the garden or the farmer’s market. However, it’s just as good with frozen fruit when blueberries aren’t in season. The best part is they come together in less than an hour from start to finish, making them an easy choice when you need to whip together a quick batch on short notice.
Blueberry Cake Bars
Serves 8 1 hour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare a 9x9 baking pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/3 cup white sugar, salt, lemon zest and juice, egg and cold butter in a food processor.
- Pulse flour mixture in food processor until it forms a ball.
- Remove half the dough and set it aside, and put the remaining dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Cover the dough in the baking pan with a layer of blueberries.
- Sprinkle the blueberries with cornstarch and the remaining white sugar.
- Crumble the reserved dough over top of the blueberries.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out slightly crumbly.
- Whisk powdered sugar and whole milk in a small bowl until it forms a thick glaze.
- Pour glaze into a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the corner cut off, and drizzle it over top of the bars once cooled.
Recipe adapted from Recipes, Food & Cooking