This proves once and for all that quick dinners can also be delicious.
A quick chicken skillet is the ultimate go-to dinner on busy weeknights but this one, well, this one tastes more like a special occasion dish. I think it’s the creamy garlic and parmesan-kissed sauce that does it; full of tender mushrooms and spinach, it tastes like something you’d get in a restaurant, not something that took you a quick twenty-five minutes to make. But it really is that simple. So the next time you are turning to some basic chicken breasts for dinner, go ahead and dress them up. And dress them up like this.
To start, you’ll want to slice two chicken breasts in half lengthwise. This gives you thinner pieces to cook so the cooking time is quicker, but it also generally creates a more even thickness so the meat cooks evenly. (No dry ends and juicy middles.) You’ll dredge those pieces in flour, which helps create some nice browning on the chicken but also goes on to thicken the sauce a bit.
And that sauce…. oh boy. It starts with mushrooms that you cook down in butter with a generous helping of garlic. Already sounds good, right? But there’s more – there’s Italian seasoning for a subtle hint of herbiness, and white wine, and chicken broth, and heavy cream that simmer down into a luscious, velvety sauce that you’ll tuck some fresh spinach and grated Parmesan into before you nestle the chicken back in to finish cooking.
This is dinner all on its own, and a delicious one at that, but should you want a little more surface area to spoon that sauce over, pasta or potatoes will get the job done.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Florentine Skillet
5m prep time
20m cook time
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- Flour, as needed, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour on both sides. Shake off excess.
- Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to skillet, followed by mushrooms. Cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, followed by wine and chicken broth. Let cook until liquid has reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and let simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and Parmesan, and let cook until spinach has wilted.
- Return chicken to pan and continue cooking until chicken has cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic.