If chocolate chip cookies are good, it would stand that chocolate chocolate chip cookies are even better. And if you went ahead and tucked some cream cheese into them too? Well, that’s just a guaranteed recipe for success, right there. These cookies are wonderfully soft, with an almost cheesecake-like texture and plenty of fudgy chocolate. In other words, they’re heavenly.
Crispy cookie fans might want to look elsewhere, but I’m convinced that these could convert anyone with their soft, pillowy texture. They’re on the tender side of chewy, with pockets of melty, sweet chocolate in every bite. How could you not love that?
Their secret isn’t just in the ingredients – the cream cheese to keep things moist and fluffy, the cornstarch to keep things tender – but also in the method. Rather than just making a dough, scooping it out, and baking it, with these you want to chill the dough for a couple of hours before they head into the oven. It keeps them from spreading out immediately in the heat so they end up with that lovely soft bite.
While the regular chocolate chip cookie might be king in your repertoire, these are definitely worth shaking things up for. Fudgy, chocolatey, beautifully soft… they’re an easy cookie, but one that tastes totally indulgent. They’ll crush the most intense chocolate craving quick!
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves 16; 20 minutes active, 2+ hours inactive
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugars, egg, and vanilla on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add cocoa powder, and beat again on medium-high speed until incorporated.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and beat until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and scoop dough out in 1/4 cup mounds. Roll into balls, flatten slightly, and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- Bake until edges have set but tops are still slightly glossy, about 10 minutes. Cookies will firm up a bit as they cool; be careful not to over bake.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.