Chocolate Lovers Recipe: Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’re a fan of chocolate, why just settle for chocolate chip cookies? Why not double the chocolate? We wanted to make a great chocolate chip cookie loaded with chocolate flavor in every bite. Above all, we didn’t want to make the chocolate too sweet or too bitter. The golden ratio ended up being 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of flour for every 8oz chocolate. Keep reading below for our favorite double chocolate chip cookies…
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 3 dozen cookies)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Melt 16oz chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, stirring once or twice, until smooth. Remove from heat. Beat together the eggs and vanilla. Sprinkle coffee powder in and mix to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugars until combined and the mixture looks uniform and granular. Gradually beat in the egg mixture until incorporated. Add the melted chocolate in a steady stream and beat until combined. Make sure to scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Incorporate in the flour mixture and mix until combined, making sure to not overbeat. Add the remaining unmelted chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until the consistency is scoopable and fudge-like (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Leaving about 1 1/2″ between each ball, scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets. Make the dough balls about 1 3/4″ in diameter, or about the size of a golf ball.
- Bake until the edges have begun to set but the centers are still very soft (about 10 minutes), rotating the baking sheets about halfway through.
- cool the cookies on the sheets for about 10 minutes. Slide the parchment with the cookies onto a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Remove with a wide metal spatula.
Recipe adapted fromReal SimpleSKM: below-content placeholder