Chocolate, toffee, and coffee. What more could you want in a muffin?
Chocolate. Coffee. Toffee. Muffins. There’s nothing about that recipe name I don’t love. Not only is it fun to say, but these muffins are absolutely incredible. A crunchy toffee topping with a soft, chocolatey and espresso muffin underneath? Yes, please! Seriously, this is like a mocha in muffin form, and I’m here for it. Check out how easy this recipe is to throw together in the video below!
This recipe is pretty straightforward as far as baking instructions go. You’ll start by combining flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and espresso powder, along with a few other things, into a large mixing bowl. The cinnamon and brown sugar used in this recipe compliment the espresso powder and tone down the bitterness a bit while still maintaining a rich, earthy taste.
Next, mix together butter, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in a small bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined. Then, fold the chocolate chips into the batter, careful not to overmix. Pour this batter into muffin cups and get to work on the toffee topping!
In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, and toffee bits (like Heath). Cut the butter into the mixture by using the back of a fork until it is coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of the mixture over each unbaked muffin. Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins to the rack to cool completely.
This is one delicious muffin, I’ll tell you that much. Certainly worth waking up for! Of course, these muffins are a special treat at any time of the day. What are you waiting for? Get the full recipe and ingredient list below!
Chocolate Coffee Toffee Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
15m prep time
20m cook time
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (or dark roast instant coffee)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For toffee topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup toffee bits (such as Heath)
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups; set aside.
For the muffins:
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the butter/egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
For the toffee crunch topping:
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, and toffee bits.
- Cut the butter into the mixture by using the back of a fork until it is coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of the mixture over each unbaked muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins to the rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat.