We knew it would be possible to tweak the traditional lasagna into something new and exciting, but we had no idea just how good it would be! Instead of sausage and red tomatoes, this baby’s filled with chicken, green chiles and salsa verde; it’s spicy (without being overly so), cheesy and seriously delicious. The Italian classic will always be a staple in our household, but this southwestern-inspired lasagna is about to get a lot more play in our dinner rotation…we can’t get enough of it!
Chili Chicken Lasagna
30min to prepare serves 6-8
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 10 oz. no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 oz.) container crema
- 1 (10 oz.) can fire roasted green chiles
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Combine chicken, green chiles, 1 cup salsa verde and sour cream in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper, cumin and chili powder.
- Spread 1/3 cup chicken mixture in the bottom of a large baking dish and cover with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Top with another layer of chicken mixture, then cover with crema, mozzarella and Mexican cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of chicken, crema and cheese, then top with lasagna noodles.
- Cover noodles with remaining salsa verde and crema, then sprinkle remaining mozzarella evenly over the top.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10-15, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Cacique