Those square blocks of instant ramen noodles have been sustaining college students for decades, but that doesn’t mean there’s not a use for them in your grown-up life too. It turns out you can take those same instant noodles and transform them into something more befitting of a sit-down dinner, even though you still get to enjoy their best benefits – the quick preparation and economical price tag! This quick and easy Chicken Ramen Stir Fry pairs ramen noodles with tender chicken, crisp broccoli, and a delicious savory sauce for a serious upgrade to instant ramen that won’t take you any more than twenty minutes to make.
You’re not using the flavor packets that come in the package here… instead you’re creating your own flavor with a quick soy based sauce that’s no trouble at all to whisk up. It’s just soy sauce, chicken stock, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic that’s thickened with a bit of cornstarch so it coats everything with sweet and salty, savory flavor. (And it tastes so much more authentic and delicious than anything you could get out of a packet.)
The glory of using instant ramen is that you don’t actually have to boil any noodles to incorporate them in a dish. Here, you’re just going to heat up a bowl of water until it’s hot enough to give off some steam and then toss in the blocks of ramen. The noodles will soften right up while you work on the rest of the dish and won’t take any more of your attention.
The rest of the dish is just a quick stir fry of cubed chicken and broccoli and once those have cooked through, you’ll add in the sauce to thicken it up a bit and toss everything together – the noodles, the chicken, the broccoli – so it’s all coated in deliciousness.
And, believe me, it’s plenty delicious. Just like if you had followed the instructions on the ramen packet, this is a dinner that you can throw together at the last minute, but this one manages to feel a bit more elevated in the quick cooking time (and incorporates some fresh veggies to boot).
20-Minute Chicken Ramen Stir Fry
10m prep time
10m cook time
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
For the stir fry:
- 2 (3.5-ounce) packages instant ramen noodles, flavor packets discarded
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil of your choice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and cornstarch until smooth. Add chicken stock, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger and whisk again. Set aside.
- Heat a bowl or pot of water until steaming. Add ramen noodles and let soak until tender. Once tender, drain.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Once hot, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, followed by broccoli. Cook until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Add sauce to pan and toss to coat. Let cook until sauce reduces slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and noodles to pan and toss to coat.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Inquiring Chef.