Who doesn’t love to come home to the taste and smell of a hot savory pie after a long day? Before you guys even start to consider what baking a flaky crust can require, take a deep breath and stay with me. This traditional version of a chicken pot pie has been converted for your busy schedule into a quick and delicious casserole that can even be made ahead, turning time into your new best friend.
Yep, all the usual suspect ingredients are on your list, but wild rice is what gives this dish an even deeper flavor- simple and unexpected. It has a rich, nutty taste and texture that has a way of kicking things up a notch without overpowering the stars of the show- chicken, vegetables, and herb-garlic seasoning.
Buttery bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese create a crispy topping that comes together while you can put your feet up! This classic dish with a twist all comes together in less than an hour, but your family will feel you spent hours in the kitchen just for them. Shhh…we won’t tell!
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Serves: 6; Time to prepare: 45 minutes
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions and carrots until softened. 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cubed chicken to skillet, season generously with salt and pepper, thyme, sage and rosemary, and cook on all sides until browned.
- Mix in frozen peas (they can be frozen or thawed; if frozen, allow a little extra time in pan to thaw) and cooked wild rice, then stir in half-and-half, chicken broth and parmesan cheese.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let thicken 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Optional: transfer mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together grated parmesan cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Stir in melted butter, then top baking dish with mixture.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.