Cabbage has long been one of my go-to veggies. When I don’t know what to make there’s usually something delicious to be had from a head of cabbage. This Cajun cabbage and sausage recipe combines the classic flavors of sausage and cabbage with an unexpected secret ingredient that elevates this dish into a meal that is sure to be requested again and again.
To begin making this dish you’ll need to start with some Andouille sausages. These distinctive sausages have a flavor unlike any other, a tradition started in France and continued in the Cajun cuisine of the US. These smoked sausages have wine and onions in them which add notes not present in other pork sausages.
To this you’ll add your sliced cabbage and then cook them together along with some bell pepper and plenty of Cajun spices until the cabbage is tender. Then deglaze the pan with some apple cider vinegar for a hit of acidity that adds brighter dimension to the meal.
That secret ingredient? It’s apples! We all know that apples and pork go perfectly together so this is a no-brainer.
To finish serve this Cajun cabbage and sausage over rice or over cooked potatoes as we’ve done here. This savory, slightly sweet dinner has all the flavor you’d expect from a Cajun meal- but you don’t have to travel to Louisiana to have some!
Cajun Cabbage and Sausage
15m prep time
23m cook time
- 1 (12 oz) package andouille sausages, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith, Gala, or McIntosh apple, sliced thinly
- 1 large scallion, sliced into small pieces
- Heat oil in a large skillet or medium stockpot over medium high and add sausage slices. Cook for 2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan add onion and water and stir vigorously to deglaze the pan. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add cabbage, chili flakes, thyme, paprika, oregano, cayenne, cumin, and onion powder. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and vinegar to pan and cook for 1 minute. Then add butter, apple, and sausage and cook until apple is softened, about 4 minutes. Garnish with scallion and serve over rice or potatoes.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.