This Cajun Beef Casserole may look a bit like shepherd’s pie, but don’t be fooled! Instead of mashed potatoes, this casserole has cornbread and cheese. And don’t get me started on the robust spices and flavors this dish has to offer.
Let’s not forget about how filling this dish is! You’re getting an entire meal in one pan, which is exactly why I love a good casserole. Here you have cornbread, meat, veggies, and a sprinkle of cheese on top. What’s not to love about that?
The secret to Cajun Beef Casserole is all in the spices. You can purchase Cajun or Creole seasoning at the store, but I went the extra mile and whipped up my own blend of spices. I think you’ll agree it’s well worth the effort, but it’s always nice to know there’s an easier option available if you’re strapped for time.
What goes into a Cajun spice mix, you ask? A little bit of garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and a few other spices. You probably have everything on hand, so no need to go out and buy a bunch of expensive spices you’re only going to use a few times.
Once you have your ingredients gathered, this recipe comes together in a breeze. Mix up the cornbread according to the package directions, then spread it into your prepared baking dish. Make the filling by browning the hamburger and tossing in veggies. Stir in your spices and let everything simmer before pouring it over the cornbread. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes.
If you’re looking for a hearty meal that will satisfy the whole family, I’ve got you covered. Check out the easy recipe below! Be warned – everyone will be asking for seconds, so be prepared!
Cajun Beef Casserole
Makes 6 servings
15m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 package cornbread/muffin mix (Plus whatever you need to prepare the mix)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions and spread into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat; drain. Stir in tomatoes, vegetables, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Pour over cornbread batter. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Top with green onions.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.