Buffalo Chicken Dip is the dip I never knew I needed. I’m not a big buffalo wing fan so never would have thought to make it, but after trying at my sister’s house I just wondered why I’d been missing out all this time! This stuff is good. Just spicy enough, but creamy and cheesy too, it has all the qualities you need for a good party dip. And it’s filling too! Thanks to that chicken, it’s more than just an appetizer — this works beautifully as a packed lunch with some veggie dippers to go along with it, if that’s more your style.
The base of this is cooked chicken. I like shredded, because it makes for better dipping than chunks, and you’ll want about two cups. (That’s a great use for leftover rotisserie or roasted chicken, if you’re asking me.) Then, you’re going to make that chicken creamy with cream cheese and some salad dressing — you can use ranch or blue cheese. Most blue cheese dressings are pretty mild, but keep in mind that you can also add some crumbled blue cheese to the top here. (And you very much should.)
Colby Jack is your best cheese option because it combines flavor with supreme meltability and all you need for that little kick is a half cup of buffalo sauce. See? It’s all your favorite wing things, in dip form.
Because I want to make your life easy, I’ve got slow cooker AND oven instructions for you here. This dip takes little more than heating the ingredients through, so either method is very simple and you can choose what fits best for you.
If you’re opting for the slow cooker, you just want to stir together the cream cheese, chicken, buffalo sauce, dressing, and most of the cheese and then cover it and let it cook until it melts together, which should take an hour or two on low. Then, you can uncover and top with more cheese (and blue cheese too) and cover it just until it’s melted. Simple!
The oven method is equally easy — just combine the same ingredients in a baking dish and then top with the cheeses and bake until bubbly, which is about twenty minutes. You get a little more of a broiled cheese effect here, which is nice, but if you’re looking to hold the dip for a party, you can’t beat that slow cooker.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
5m prep time
20m cook time
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, grated
- Blue cheese crumbles, for topping (optional)
- Sliced green onion, for topping (optional)
In the slow cooker:
- Cube cream cheese, then combine cream cheese, chicken, buffalo sauce, dressing, and 1 1/2 cups Colby jack cheese in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until melted, 1-2 hours.
- Stir to combine, then top with remaining Colby Jack and blue cheese crumbles, if using, and cover again until cheese has melted. Top with green onion to serve, if desired.
In the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, dressing, and 1 1/2 cups Colby Jack cheese. Transfer to baking dish.
- Top with remaining Colby Jack and blue cheese (if using), then bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Top with green onion to serve, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Franks Red Hot.