Basic doesn’t always have to be boring. Or flavorless, for that matter. This Brown Sugar Quick Bread proves that completely – while it’s a bread based on few ingredients and with no special add-ins like chocolate chips or nuts, its simple buttery brown sugar flavor is hard to get enough of. It’s very easy to make and since it’s made up of a handful of things you probably already have on hand, the good news is you can make it any time the mood strikes!
The batter is really very simple. There’s the usual baking regulars: flour, baking powder, vanilla, eggs, butter… but also a generous amount of brown sugar.
There’s no white sugar at all, in fact, just two full cups of brown sugar. While that might seem like a lot, it gives the bread a simple but straightforward toffee-like sweetness…
… Not to mention a beautiful moist yet light crumb.
This bread just shows you don’t always need to go all out with flavor combos or layers of textures; the brown sugar flavor in this is so easy to love. After all, it’s the simple things, right?
Brown Sugar Quick Bread
Yield 2 loaves; 10 minutes prep, 1 hour cook time
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 2 1-pound loaf pans with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter with an electric mixer until well combined. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until just moist.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, batter should come to an inch below top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Julie Blanner.