Breakfast Recipe: Spiced Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day and, as such, we like to make it count. Oatmeal is a great way to start your day because it’s healthy and keeps you going all morning. This delicious recipe adds extra flavor in the form of freshly spiced apples, and the good news is that it doesn’t use too much butter or processed sugar. You can make these apples as sweet as you want, or keep them nice and tart there’s no right or wrong way to do it! Give this oatmeal a try and see if you don’t start the day with more of a skip in your step!
Healthy Spiced Apple Oatmeal
- 2 cups steel-cut (old-fashioned) or quick-cook oats
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 apples (Granny Smiths), peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon all-natural honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- milk (any type), optional
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add apples.
- Stir in cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg, and cook until apples are soft. About 8 minutes.
- Add honey and cook until it is blended into the sauce. Turn off heat
- In a large saucepan, bring water, oats and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Pour oatmeal into a bowl and top with spiced apples. Serve hot.
Optional: pour milk over the top to cool oatmeal and add more flavor and creaminess.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy