When you’re looking for a tasty dessert with minimal fuss, or even when you’re craving a Mounds bar but don’t have any on hand, these easy coconut truffles really hit the spot. The center is sweet, rich, and full of coconut. The chocolate shell is the perfect foil to the sweet center. And, they couldn’t be easier to make. With just 3 ingredients they are by far one of the easiest desserts out there. To make these truffles you only need shredded coconut, condensed milk, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
We could see these being a great last minute gift, a spur-of-the-moment dessert idea, or even a treasured part of a holiday celebration. Heck, you could even add an almond in the middle of each one and make them Almond Joy truffles! Around our house we’ve nicknamed these as “last minute truffles” because we’ve usually got all the ingredients already on hand when the need arises.
Once you see how it’s done you will be amazed at how simple these truffles are to make. Pour your coconut flakes into a large bowl. Then slowly add in your condensed milk and gingerly stir.
The goal here is to avoid spilling coconut all over your kitchen. Once it’s blended you should have a mass that holds together. If it’s still crumbly and doesn’t hold together then you may need to add more condensed milk.
Once the right consistency is achieved you’ll be able to roll the mixture into balls that hold their shape. Make 18 small balls and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate them for about 1 hour.
Once you’re ready to make the chocolate coating simply melt a the chocolate chips in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each interval. You want your chocolate to bu just-melted (not more) so that the texture is perfect. Then dip each truffle into the bowl and place back on to the baking sheet. Refrigerate for 1 more hour before serving and then you’re all done. These truly couldn’t be any easier.
If you’re feeling fancy then you can dust each truffle with coconut before the chocolate sets, but this is completely optional. The only time consuming part of this recipe is waiting for the truffles to cool! That being said they’re so tasty that they’re gone in a flash.
3 Ingredient Coconut Truffles
Makes 18 truffles
2h 10m prep time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl add coconut flakes. Slowly pour in condensed milk and stir with a rubber spatula. If mixture doesn’t hold together you may need to add just a bit more coconut. Finish mixing by hand. Once blended well, the mixture should easily be formed into balls that keep their shape.
- Place balls on baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, using short intervals in the microwave. Stir between each interval and stop once the chocolate has just barely melted.
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate and place back onto baking sheet. Optional: dust each truffle with coconut before chocolate sets. Refrigerate for at least one hour more before serving.
Recipe adapted from Veronika’s Kitchen.