If you’ve scrolled down to look at the ingredient list on these already, you might be trying to quickly hit the back button on your browser and get out of here – but please don’t go! Stay!
Look, I get it. I know soy sauce, and fish sauce, and parmesan cheese together sounds absolutely insane, but you’ll just have to trust me that it works. It works SO incredibly well. See, these 10-minute Asian-inspired noodles are all about umami and an absurdly delicious garlic-infused butter sauce that doesn’t take any longer to make than the noodles themselves. These quick noodles cry out for late-night snacking but pair them with shrimp or chicken and they make an ideal dinner too.
So you start with seven cloves of garlic. (I don’t know if I need to say more to get you to try these – I was fully in as soon as I saw that.) You mince them up and let them simmer in a few tablespoons of butter while you boil the noodles.
An easy step, but the butter becomes positively infused with garlic flavor and yet you bump up the flavor even more with a dash of fish sauce, a dash of soy sauce, a little sugar, and some parmesan cheese. Those are things that don’t seem to work together, but I can promise you they do. So very well.
It’s just a dash of each, so it’s not overwhelming, but the flavor is salty and deep and rich (and also plenty buttery). And it all comes together in just ten short minutes.
10-Minute Garlic Noodles
5m prep time
10m cook time
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons oyster or fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Green onion, thinly sliced, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While noodles cook, infuse the butter:
- Heat butter, olive oil, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Let butter cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Garlic shouldn't brown; keep heat low.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the oyster or fish sauce, sugar, and soy sauce. Once garlic has cooked, increase heat to medium-high and stir in soy sauce mixture.
- Let cook 30 seconds, then add noodles and parmesan cheese and toss to coat.
- Serve with green onion and more parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar.