We found it! THE CAKE that will satisfy the most decadent of dessert cravings while still being able to quench that specific hankering for lemony sweetness that some of us must regularly feed. (Or at least try!)
Ridiculously moist, there is no need whatsoever to add frosting – that would be a little like spreading frosting onto more frosting – which is totally fine if that’s your thing – but we fully endorse this cake in all of its undecorated glory. The magic ingredient? Mayonnaise. It locks in the over-the-top moisture that makes this cake such a beautiful thing. You won’t be sorry you made this – and we’re willing to bet it’ll become a regular staple in your dessert repertoire!
Lemon Butter Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 8-10
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 340º F. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, sugar and salt until fully combined and mixture is creamed. Whisk in eggs, one egg at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Mix in lemon zest and mayonnaise until fully combined, then slowly sift in flour while whisking. Stop whisking when fully incorporated. (Be careful not to overmix!) Stir in lemon juice.
- Spread batter into cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the center bounces back when pressed with your finger.
- Remove from the oven, then let cool for 10-12 minutes and transfer to a serving platter by turning it upside down onto the surface.
- Serve while still warm or fully cooled!
Recipe adapted from The 350 Degree Oven