We’ve found the ultimate in chocolate decadence with this cake recipe. If you can handle chocolate covered with a layer of chocolate, then this is an absolute must-have in your recipe box. What looks elegant and difficult is really quite simple and therefore should not inspire any feelings of intimidation. You will look like a baking pro when this chocolaty confection hits the table!
Eliminating flour from the standard cake recipe results in a cake that is super rich and delicious, and the chocolate glaze offers an easy, delicious finish. We love this cake for all of these reasons, and we love how simply it all comes together; a microwave and a mixer are pretty much all the tools needed to create this amazing cake. Your friends and family will think you went to a fancy bakery and you’ll wow them with your baking skills. This is a great holiday treat, but don’t hesitate to serve it year-round – it’s just that good!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
3 hours to prepare serves 10-12
- 2 ¼ cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (1 ¼ sticks) unsalted butter, diced
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F, then grease a 9-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Lightly grease parchment paper with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt semi-sweet chocolate and butter for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir until fully melted. Cool slightly before adding to mixer.
- In a large bowl or mixer, mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water. Beat on medium speed until mixture is foamy and slightly pale.
- Reduce speed and slowly pour in melted chocolate. Once incorporated, add unsweetened cocoa powder and mix until just blended.
- Pour cake batter into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around edges of pan to help release cake from pan. Use a sharp knife to level cake if you don’t want a domed top. Transfer to serving platter and refrigerate for 2 hours (longer if possible).
- To glaze cake: melt butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl until smooth. Pour warm glaze over chilled cake and use a flat spatula to evenly spread glaze around edges. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Bring cake back to room temperature before serving. Use a warm knife to cut slices, cleaning and warming knife between each slice.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking