Everyone loves dip around here, and we feel pretty confident that we’re not alone in our love for tasty dips! People tend to gather around the dip at parties, so it’s one of those dishes that not only has the power to rev up taste buds, but it can also inspire great conversation. When it’s perfect, dip can also disappear fast – before you get any – and we’ve probably all been at a party, left with the last lonely veggies and with no dip to dip them in.
To some degree, we think that’s a good problem to have, so we came up with a fantastic dip recipe to share, that’s so good you will want to consider making a double batch. Be warned; this Greek yogurt onion dip has such mouthwatering layers of flavor that you just might be tempted to dip your finger right in and risk the consequences. (We can’t take any responsibility if that happens, but it honestly is that delicious!)
The ingredients speak for themselves, and the way that the onion is prepared takes it over the top; we discovered that caramelizing the onions adds a subtle sweetness that brings all the flavors together. It takes just a few extra minutes and a pinch of patience that are worth every second. The tangy yogurt and fresh chives also add to this delicious mixture that pairs with so many dipping possibilities; chips, crackers, veggies, chicken tenders – the list doesn’t end and the party won’t stop – until you run out of this delicious dip!
Yogurt Onion Dip
Serves 6 15 minutes
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt, then add water and vinegar. Lower heat and continue to cook for another 12-15 minutes, or until onions are caramelized and the water has evaporated.
- Transfer caramelized onion to a bowl and stir in Greek yogurt, milk and chives, then season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving so flavors have a chance to develop, then serve with veggies, chips or chicken tenders.
Recipe adapted from Little Broken