We recently shared a great, simple chili recipe, a must-tryfor any meat-eaters out there. But what about our vegan readers? The perfect comfort food alternative: a hearty lentil soup.
We aimed to make this lentil soup absolutely vegan: no animal byproducts at all. So keeping that in mind, we of course used a vegetable broth. We also packed this soup with more vegetables: onion, carrots, and potatoes. From there, it came down to finding just the right additions to make this soup really shine. Keep reading below for our favorite lentil soup recipe…
Vegan Lentil Soup
(makes 6 servings)
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1lb butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
- 8oz yikon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14.5oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Place lentils, water, broth, and all the ingredients up to and including the bay leaves into a large pot and stir well. Bring to a boil while stirring, then cover the pot, lower to a low heat and cook until the lentils are tender (about an hour). Add water if the soup begins to dry out.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and taste the soup. Add more seasoning if necessary. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring the bottom often. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the vinegar just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Chow.comSKM: below-content placeholder