When you combine mozzarella and tomato in a salad, you’re usually on your way to a Caprese. It’s a great option, which is exactly why this salad takes its cues from it. There’s still mozzarella and tomatoes in this salad, but that was really just a jumping-off point. We’ve also added cucumbers, avocado, and red onion, which means it has more crunch and creaminess than a basic mozzarella/basil/tomato combination.
Since all you’re doing is chopping a few things here, this salad literally takes about five minutes to throw together. It doesn’t need to marinate or chill or anything before you dig in, so as soon as you’ve tossed everything together in the bowl, you’re good to go so it’s great for a last-minute lunch option.
You don’t even have to make a dressing! We’ve brought basil in here by using store-bought pesto and that fresh and bright flavor is the perfect complement to the creamy mozzarella and avocado.
It’s a salad that doesn’t rely on anything leafy, and yet it’s totally chock full of texture and flavor. Potluck, picnic, or personal lunch, it’s an easy and delicious option!
Mozzarella Cucumber Avocado Salad
Serves 4 Prep 5m
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 8 oz bocconcini or ciliegine (fresh mozzarella balls)
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Juice of one lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To a large bowl, add the pesto and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, avocados, cucumber, red onion, and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Julia's Album.